Thursday, August 1, 2019

Slow Scripture Saturation -- It Works for Me

When some people read Scripture, the amount of verses completed seems to be their most essential goal. Well, that is surely not true for me, personally. In fact, I may very well be the slowest Jesus-believer in the history of humankind when it comes to moving through God’s Holy Word. And I’m okay with that unique reputation. It works for me. 

You see, for me it’s all about embracing the saturation, not chasing or competition. As a result, I give myself permission to get beautifully stuck in short passages for weeks at a time. 

I used to feel guilty about my slow Scripture reading, but lately I have come to realize it is false guilt. Why? Simply said, my slow Scripture saturation leads to undeniable soul-inspiration, even noticeable heart-transformation in my everyday life.

So, over the last few weeks I have been wondrously locked into/onto -- actually maybe more like captived by -- Ephesians 4:29-32. And for days now, it seems Ephesians 4:31b-32 is specifically where I’ve anchored my attention. 

Perhaps, my slow Scripture saturation is giving way to a sacred romance of sorts, in that, I really want these holy words to define the devotion and reality of my own life. 

So, here are those 32 holy words that my attention is anchored in right now. (The last four words are especially holding me fast in the Four Winds of life:)

"...dislike of others should have no place in your lives. Instead, be kind to each other, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God has forgiven you because you belong to Christ." (Ephesians 4:31b-32, Living Letters Paraphrase)

Thanks for letting me share my heart. 

Presence Matters Most! No Invisible People!

UNITY!

Pastor Kerry Willis 

No comments: