Thursday, December 5, 2013

Volume 9: "Christmases Past"

The little church I was raised in was blessed with musical talent that was off-the-charts. Clint Nelson, a former rock-and-roll singer, was without doubt the cream of the crop vocally. With his shiny-black, electric, Les Paul, Gibson guitar strapped around his neck, inspiration always happened for those of us who were blessed to hear him sing and play.

As I recall "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past", the Christmas music sung by The Free Grace Church voices and led by Clint Nelson is surely at the top of the list. Year-after-year, the Holy Day Season came alive throughout the month of December, as our local church family enjoyed both traditional Christmas Carols and newly written, sacred songs by Clint Nelson. I especially enjoyed hearing one of Clint's original Christmas tunes titled, "Born is The King." 

The congregation that still meets on the island property on The Old Ferry Dock Road, still has a Christmas Concert each Advent season. Clint Nelson is still the lead vocalist and the pastor, too. The church-house is always overflowing with local members of the community. Last year they had to turn people away, so this year they have made the concert a two-night invite.

My son, Grayson, and I arrived on the island tonight just in time for the annual holiday music extravaganza. Clint came to the microphone wearing his red vest and welcomed a capacity crowd. As much as I often miss the music of "Christmases Past", tonight my memory gave way to the present. Though Clint is much older now, he never sang or played his guitar more beautifully.

Maybe it's because the older I get the more I need Christmas inspiration. Anyway, I love Christmas even more this year than I did last year. As I hugged Clint Nelson on the way out, my heart was wonderfully warmed once again.

Indeed, I am blessed! And, I am ...

...Grateful 


No comments: