Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Volume 11: "Christmases Past"

One of my favorite Christmas memories happened when my wife, Kim, and I, were eating supper at my most favorite restaurant in our hometown, The China Jade. Annie, whom I met in the restaurant many years earlier as a waitress, was now running the business. It was a few nights before Christmas and Annie came to our table and said, "I have a gift for you. You are my best customers." She then handed me a little, plastic, orange and black, tiger Christmas tree ornament from her native homeland, China. Our hearts melted at the gesture and to this day we cherish Annie's tender gift.

Yesterday was Tuesday, December 10, 2013, and it was a sad day for me. That's why I didn't blog, I suppose. While having lunch with a pastor friend in Annie's and Jackie's Chinese Restaurant, Annie came up to me and said, "I have bad news. Jackie and I, along with our three children are closing the restaurant and moving back to China." It truly broke my heart. I have been eating most every week (I've been in town) in The China Jade for at least seventeen years. Annie was my first waitress way back then. We have formed quite a friendship. I have my own table in the corner pocket of the establishment.

I have done my best to send The China Jade business and I have surely given them mine. However, by the end of December 2013, maybe earlier, the doors will be closed and the precious family that I adore will be gone. Family? Yes, Annie and Jackie have three precious children -- a son and a set of twin girls. They call me "Uncle Kerry".

Annie explained that Jackie's father, who cooked for them for a long time, is back in China, and at 80-years-old is near death. He wants his family to come home and to be with him. So, I am glad their family will be united, but honestly I feel as if I am losing family myself. When I left the restaurant on Tuesday, I got hugs from them all. Though I plan to see them before they leave, we were taking no chances so we properly said our good-byes.

I gave them my address and phone number and promised to pray for them. I walked out the door and wept on the way to my car. I told God later today, "I trust You, Lord, with my precious family and cherished friends."

As much as I will cherish the memories, I have a witness in my soul that even though they are moving literally around the world, I will see them again. Love conquers all. Indeed, my God is Love.

(Note added later: On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Annie called me to say, "Good News. My father-in-law seems to be improving in his health. We have decided that just my husband will go to China for now and I will remain here for the time being with our three children. My restaurant will remain open. Tell your friends.")

Grateful        

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our hearts are heavy with yours as you say goodbye to the China Jade and the special family God has brought into your life for the past 17 years.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks Debbie. Keep them in your prayers. Me too