Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Volume 19: "Christmases Past"

It's Christmas Eve, and yesterday we finally received "IT!" We received "What?" Well, if you've been following my writings about "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past", you know I miss my Granny Margery's beautiful, bright-red, delicious Jelly Cake.

So, as requested, my Aunt Edith did write down the recipe and my Mom mailed it to us and, now, drum roll please.... "the simple-but-splendid Willis family Jelly Cake recipe is ours!"

Yes, yesterday we received "IT!" And it only gets better, because yesterday afternoon, my wife, Kim, made a grocery run to buy the ingredients, and Lord willing, the Jelly Cake will once again thrill future generations of Willises!

In case you want to bake one yourself, I will now write the sweet strategy out for your enjoyment, while looking at my Aunt Edith's handwritten recipe, of course.

GRANNY'S BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT-RED DELICIOUS JELLY CAKE

* 1 box of Duncan Hines Butter Batter Cake Mix
* 32 Ounces of Apple Jelly
* Add red food-coloring until the jelly is as RED as you want it.
* Add lemon juice to taste.
* Spread RED-colored, Apple Jelly on cake layers, around all sides, and on the top.

Friends, the time is now to watch my Granny's Jelly Cake from "Christmases Past" make it's way into the wonder of "Christmas Present!" 

In my Granny's words, "Hooray for Christmas!!!"

Grateful 

P.S. More on my Dad's health should be known later today. He's at peace still and is so grateful for your prayers. Me too. 

No comments: