Sunday, December 22, 2013

Volume 18: "Christmases Past"

The Sears and Roebuck store of yesteryear is on my long list of "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past." It was just a small mail-order store "in town" about a 30-minute drive from our island home.

What I liked most about the Sears showroom was seeing Old Saint Nick each December. Yes, Santa would come and sit in his big chair there and talk tenderly to all of us kids about our Christmas wishes. Obviously, he was in partnership with the store, but it was a special moment year-after-year for the children of our community. I am thankful to Mr. Sears for inviting Mr. Claus to come help us celebrate at Christmastime. 

In 2013, our family visited New York City at the beginning of the Christmas Season. We visited Macy's Department Store and waited in line to talk to St. Nick. Yes, we're all grown on the outside but still children on the inside. As we patiently endured the long line, excitement built in my heart to see the jolly, old, bearded-man in the red-and-white velvet suit. I even had my camera and took Santa's portrait as we left.

So, with the childhood memories of "Christmases Past" still very much alive in my mind, I still cherish celebrating "Christmas Present". Whether it's in a little-town, catalogue showroom or in a big-city, department store, I always expect to be inspired by the decorations of the giving season and I especially anticipate encountering the old saint, Mr. Claus. 

(Here's the portrait from Macy's.)


Grateful

No comments: