Thursday, December 12, 2013

Volume 12: "Christmases Past"

When I glance in the rearview mirror of my life, many of the things I miss most have happened during the season of Christmas.

One of those memories is strong in my mind now. When our children were ages 5 and 3 -- after tucking them in bed on Christmas Eve of 1991, and while Kim was wrapping gifts -- I drove to my dear friend, David's house.

David was an exceptional artist and called himself "Santa's elf" at Christmastime, because he always painted artwork through the night completing late projects for his customers to pick up by daylight on Christmas morning. 

I miss the strong memory of sitting until about midnight on that particular Christmas Eve with my dear friend. I can remember the peace of the companionship and the joy of the conversation we shared.

Little did I know it would be my last Christmas Eve as a resident of my native North Carolina home. In 1992, we moved to Colorado Springs for Bible College and then onto Virginia. And little did I realize David would pass away a few years later. 

I cherish especially that specific season of "Christmases Past". Our children are now 26 and 24, and while David is now in Heaven, I still of plenty of his art work to warm my heart and to inspire my soul.

I am doubly blessed by yesterday's Christmas memories and today's Christmas moments. 

Grateful

1 comment:

Mark Spruill said...

A heartwarming story. Thanks.

Mark