Saturday, December 7, 2013

Volume 10: "Christmases Past"

Lately, my heart has been full of gratitude and as a result memories of "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past" is overflowing from my mind. 

You know what I miss? I miss riding with my cousin Mitch on Christmas Eve in his white Mustang. It was a 1965 model, I do believe. It had a red interior with a manual transmission. Mitch could shift gears faster than a NASCAR driver.

Each Christmas Eve, after Mitch set off fireworks in the front yard, would take me for a joy ride right after dark. We rode to the east end of the island and pulled into a big field called Academy Field. Mitch would switch off the headlights and wildly drive the car around in circles until we were both delightfully dizzy. You would've thought we we had just won The Daytona 500. Going round and round in that Mustang, time would seemingly stand still. I laughed until I cried. It was more fun than I can describe.

Finally after a long while , Mitch would decide we were done, switch the headlights back on, and we would go meet the rest of the family at the west end of the island. There our Christmas Eve would continue as we opened Christmas gifts and ate holiday desserts (like my Granny's beautiful and delicious, red, Christmas Jelly Cake.)

This Christmas Eve, no doubt, I will as always think of Cousin Mitch, his classic white, Ford Mustang sports car, and breathe prayers for him and for all of my precious family.

As I give thanks for "Christmases Past", my thanks only enlarges for "Christmas Present" and "Christmases Future", because I know that the rest of our Holy Days will still be the best of our Holy Days. Christmas only increases the joy in my soul as the years pile up behind me. Yes, the season keeps getting "gooder and gooder".

Grateful 

No comments: