Sunday, January 9, 2011

When Children Sing Blessings Over Your Life

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
-- Matthew 19:14 (NIV)

It was a Thursday afternoon when I entered Mrs. Hilliard's fifth grade classroom to share with her class some of what I have learned on my multiple journeys to The Holy Land. For about an hour I was blessed beyond measure with attentive and engaged students.

However, it was after the hour of teaching ended that the real blessing came. The students stood around me as their teacher said "We have something special for you." Then they all smiled on me as they lifted their voices and sang this blessing over my life:

May the Lord, mighty God, bless and keep you forever.
Grant you peace, perfect peace, courage in every endeavor.
Lift up your eyes and see His face and His grace forever.
May the Lord, Mighty God bless and keep you forever.

Yes, as I stood there encircled by the children, tears lined my eyes. Take it from me. When children sing blessings over your life, you will know you are blessed indeed. Besides, on that particular Thursday afternoon (without Mrs. Hilliard's fifth grade class knowing it) I really needed a tender touch from the Lord. I left the classroom humbled, grateful, speechless, and yes, blessed indeed!

Now, I sing this blessing over your life today (and remember I am a child, yes a child of God):

May the Lord, mighty God, bless and keep you forever.
Grant you peace, perfect peace, courage in every endeavor.
Lift up your eyes and see His face and His grace forever.
May the Lord, Mighty God bless and keep you forever.

Yes, forever and forever. Amen.
Grateful

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

May I make Him able to do so.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I second that motion!