Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Twin Ministers: Presence & Absence

I've come to know that there are twins that minister in my life more than anything else. The twins are named Presence and Absence.

In John 16:7, the Lord told His disciples (and I paraphrase): I know you think having me visibly present in a good thing, but when I leave you visibly, things will go from good to great for you. Yes, in My absence, the ministry of My presence will go from "with you" to "within you". Yes, My Spirit will be "with you" and "within you" to constantly remind you of everything I told you when I was visibly present.

I don't pretend to be able to communicate in written form this awe-inspiring reality in my life as I am always being ministered to by the twin ministers -- Presence and Absence. However, let me just illustrate it like this:

When my godly Granny Margery was visibly present in my life, she allowed the Holy Spirit to minister the Life of Jesus through her, to me. It was an indescribable influence for her grandson. And since she has been noticeably absent from the body (*and without doubt is now present with her Lord) The Holy Spirit continues to undeniably minister the Life of Jesus to me in the unforgettable afterglow of Granny's life.

I'm pretty sure the best way to dumb down the delight in my soul is just to say: The longevity of holy lives lived for the glory of the Lord is the greatest of convincers on children and grandchildren, yes, when they are visibly present, but even more so when they are noticeably absent.

Future generations should, and must, be taught about the Lord, but let us never forget that being taught about the Lord is, at best, a weak substitute when compared with the impact of future generations being caught by the Lord in the afterglow of a loved one who has lived over the long haul for the glory of God!

* 2 Corinthians 5:8 (NKJV) -- We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

10 comments:

Marcus O'Malley said...

Being caught is right and I think sometimes I look for the right answers to questions, when living the Word is the only answer people will listen to. Pray, seek and live it, that's all I can do.

Your story reminded me of this video I came across after seeing a video they played at church:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfROVYTBMBc

"I have a little more than a few, and a little less than some

but anything i have comes from nothing I've done

I'm still living off the prayers from my great grandma's tongue

I'm still blessed by the hymns that my late grandma sung

to honor the Holy Spirit, the Heavenly Father and the Son"

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

What wonderful comments, Marcus. My heart is so encouraged. Those words could be mine. :-) I am grateful!

Unknown said...

And this blessing is for your children and for your children's children. Thank you Lord for those who have gone before, let this and future generations to be caught up in love with Jesus more and more! Oh that we would be found faithful in Your Presence!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I know you believe in the whole "caught" reality. May future generations be "caught up" in Christ and Christ be "caught up" in them and us!

James Spruill said...

A wonderful word my brother. The power of influence can save a life or destroy one.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

What a joy it is to have your influence in my life. I am humbled and want to be a good steward of the treasure of your life in mine.

Marcus O'Malley said...

Today's quote on my Google home page, thought you'd appreciate it:

"I prayed fifteen years for the conversion of my oldest brother. When he seemed to be getting further and further away from any hope of conversion, I prayed on."
R.A. Torrey

pastor paul said...

Our influence goes much farther than you and I ever will know. Thankful of the influencers in my life...YOU and all the others!!

Remember Me and Faith tomorrow morn as we fly home to see Granny and Nana. :) Aprille will be remain in TN, she cannot travel yet. :(

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these words.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Blessings again Marcus and Paul. God-speed for your Jesus-led journeys. And you are so welcome, Mark. And thanks for investing your valuable time on my Beautiful Feet Blog. Nice to stay in touch, brothers.