Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Lord "Had" Left Him

In Psalm 51:11 (TLB), King David included this plea in his passionate prayer of repentance: Don’t toss me aside, banished forever from your presence. Don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.

Precious Holy Spirit, let me never put You off, lest You would put me off. In Jesus' name. Amen.

(16-17) She (Delilah) nagged at him (Samson) every day until he couldn’t stand it any longer and finally told her his secret. "My hair has never been cut," he confessed, "for I’ve been a Nazirite to God since before my birth. If my hair were cut, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as anyone else." (18) Delilah realized that he had finally told her the truth, so she sent for the five Philistine leaders. "Come just this once more," she said, "for this time he has told me everything." So they brought the money with them. (19) She lulled him to sleep with his head in her lap, and they brought in a barber and cut off his hair. Delilah began to hit him, but she could see that his strength was leaving him. (20) Then she screamed, "The Philistines are here to capture you, Samson!" And he woke up and thought, "I will do as before; I’ll just shake myself free." But he didn’t realize that the Lord had left him. -- Judges 16:16-20 (TLB)

At the very end of his life, Samson humbled himself, prayed, sought God, repented and wouldn't you know the Lord returned upon His life with power.

We read the end of the story in Judges 16:28-31 (TLB) -- (28) Then Samson prayed to the Lord and said, "O Lord Jehovah, remember me again—please strengthen me one more time, so that I may pay back the Philistines for the loss of at least one of my eyes." (29) Then Samson pushed against the pillars with all his might. (30) "Let me die with the Philistines," he prayed. And the temple crashed down upon the Philistine leaders and all the people. So those he killed at the moment of his death were more than those he had killed during his entire lifetime. (31) Later, his brothers and other relatives came down to get his body, and they brought him back home and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol, where his father, Manoah, was buried. He had led Israel for twenty years.

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

5 comments:

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Amen. And it sure is good to let Him know we need Him and want Him to be our very life. He is my very life. Without Him I can do nothing (and I am nothing). John 15:5. ALL JOY!

Marcus O'Malley said...

In the NKJV it says in 2 Kings: It happened in the spring of the time when kings go out to battle David sent Joab. A chapter earlier it says David sent Joab, but it doesn't have the part about the "time when kings go out" I don't know if that is on purpose, but it seems so.

David didn't go out to battle the day he spied and later lay with Bathsheba. It was "the time when kings go out to battle" but he sent Joab in his place.

"Joab can you go serve the Lord for me today I've got other things to attend to at the house?" sadly that is probably an all to familiar message in God's ears...

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

AMEN. Lord forbid. We too often give up on God, rather than vice-versa. Kind of my point. Lord, give me unending hunger for Your Precious Holy Spirit in my life.

Martin LaBar said...

That would be a terrible fate. Perhaps Samson had God's presence with him one last time, though.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Indeed he did. I believe the Lord returned to him surely. his life glorified God in the final analysis, I'd say.