Saturday, July 7, 2018

“Go to Hell!”

Driving an RV is sometimes akin to riding a bull. I mean, I have never ridden a bull, but RVs can be a little loose and quite jumpy on the highway. The key is not to fight the “big truck” as we call it, but to sort of let it find itself forward. 

I tell you this to say, occasionally people driving normal-sized vehicles behind an RV seem to get annoyed. Usually because I’m not driving fast enough for their liking or that they have trouble seeing around me, making passing a little bit like a death wish, I suppose. 

Yesterday, I had an interesting moment on the asphalt interstate. A vehicle that had been behind me awhile fiercely blew past me. It was a burgundy Chevrolet SUV. After they got about 15 feet beyond me, one of the passengers, seemingly out-of-his-mind, and wearing no shirt, hung himself out the window, gave me some not-so-nice sign language and hollered: “Go to Hell!” And it was over. The SUV sped off, took the next exit and I continued north along the highway. 

What’s mind-boggling to me about that whole ordeal is actually pretty simple. I spend virtually my whole existence telling people to “Go to Heaven!” But some, sadly, spend much of their lives, evidently, telling people to “Go to Hell!”

In the moment, I actually felt sorrow for the young man’s soul who was so very obviously ticked off by my driving. Further along my journey, I prayed for his soul. Prayed that he would come to know that there are worse things in the world than following a bouncing RV for a few miles.

So, how do you spend your life? Is your life a signpost pointing other souls towards Heaven or not? You see, if we don’t invite people to “Go to Heaven” isn’t our lack of witnessing kind of like telling people to “Go to Hell?” Just something I’ve been pondering? 

Oh well, I sure hope tomorrow I don’t tick anyone else off on the many roads I must travel to be a circuit-riding district superintendent, nevertheless, I sure do hope I get to say to some eternal soul in some effective way: “Go to Heaven!” 

I want my witness to go beyond good intentions, to actual invitations. Because you know what they say about good intentions, don’t you? Yes! “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.” God forbid. God forgive. And as our inheritance give us the lost.


Lucy take the wheel. :)

Presence Matters Most!
That is... Presence. Unity. Souls. Love.

Pastor Kerry Willis 

4 comments:

lzajane said...

Oh my....this happens to me often because I only go the speed limit or a few miles over. It’s sad people are in such a hurry! The other day.....3 motorcycles drove right between me & the car beside me on the dotted line....scared me to death....I was shocked.....called 911 but found out later from a state trooper that they usually never catch people like that because it’s just too dangerous to chase them. Too bad Lucy can’t drive maybe that would slow them down....LOL :)

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Mercy.

Stephenharrison81 said...

I too have had this happen quite often. Our trucks at work are governed @70mph. Therefore making it hard to get out of the way soon enough. When this does happen I often of the fruits of the spirit....mostly patience.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Lord give us grace. :)