Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Empty Cross and The Crucifix

I love both the empty cross and the crucifix. Sometimes I think Protestant churches too quickly got rid of some sacred things, especially the crucifix.

I know the empty cross reminds us that Jesus is no longer on the cross and I really love that reality. I wear an empty cross around my neck daily. It opens up some deep Jesus-conversations with those I encounter. 

Nevertheless, I also have a few crucifixes. The crucifix reminds us of the great suffering our Savior endured to pardon and sanctify us. I suppose, however, that I love the crucifix most because it is an illustration of the truly surrendered heart. Think about it: With nails driven through both feet and nails driven through both hands, we cannot walk off in our own direction or hold onto anything that would keep us from belonging totally to Jesus. 

Galatians 2:20 is my truest life-verse: "l am crucified with Christ and I no longer life, yet Christ now lives in me. And the life I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God Who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Yes, when I see the crucifix, I remember that because Jesus willingly surrendered to the cross, I want to live surrendered to Him. In other words, Jesus was crucified for me, therefore I desire to be crucified with Him.

Presence Matters Most! No Invisible People!

UNITY!

Pastor Kerry Willis 

No comments: