Thursday, October 24, 2019

She’s Grounded!

I suppose many of us may have been grounded before by our parents. It’s a form of discipline particularly hard for teens, in that your punishment for disobeying or disappointing your parents -- in one way or another -- results in not being allowed to leave your family home (or maybe even your bedroom) for a specified time-frame. It means you cannot go and be with your friends. Painful, indeed.

But there’s another form of "being grounded" that’s not painful; it’s actually gainful. I’ve learned it mostly from my Mom, Lady Melba. She’s grounded!

What I mean is, her life is anchored to The Rock of Ages, yes, Almighty God, is her Life’s Stronghold! Mom has weathered many storms, and yet, my friends, she’s not at all adrift, no she’s still grounded! "On Christ The Solid Rock She (still) stands (strong)!"

I talk to my Mom on the phone as often as possible. We’ve been separated by many miles for much of my adult life, still, we stay close in verbal communication. Her two other sons, my younger brothers, Billy Joe and Stephen, also stay in touch with Mom, though, like me, most of their adult lives they’ve also lived many miles away from her. The truth is, Mom is our rock! 

This week, one of my brothers asked Mom: "What will I do when I cannot call you on the phone anymore?" You see, Mom has a way of keeping us -- all three of her preacher-boys -- focused in our faith. Whenever life beats and batters us, one conversation with Mom is all either of us need to get back to the basics of a God-grounded, spiritual life. 

I remember the day my Dad told me the words he wanted engraved on His tombstone: "Anchored in Jesus!" The truth be known, Mom was a big influence on Dad’s life, too. Having a wife truly grounded in a right relationship with God gave Dad stability and strength that only Heaven can bring to earth. 

Are you grounded? Would you like to be grounded? If so, just passionately call on the Name of The One Who has always been, still is, and forever will be "The Rock of Ages!" He longs to give to everyone -- who will place their total trust in Him -- a firm foundation of faith to fasten to. Let it happen! Amen!

Presence Matters Most! No Invisible People!

UNITY!

Pastor Kerry Willis 

No comments: