Thursday, October 10, 2019

Cemetery Time is Thinking Time 

Throughout my life as a Jesus-believer, I have occasionally stopped just to walk and think through a cemetery. Remember, Mary Magdalene heard the voice of her Alive-again Lord while thinking in a cemetery. (John 20:16)

I don’t usually plan a cemetery stop. It’s more like I am drawn away by the Presence of my Lord to come nearer to Him, yes, even in a cemetery from time-to-time. It’s always a sacred invitation from my Savior sent straight to my soul.

Today, has been one of those days. A cemetery walking and thinking day. I walked about 75% of a rather larger cemetery. I was on the brink of holy tears as I tarried there.

Something new happened today in this cemetery. About half-way through my walk, I sensed the Lord saying: "Why don’t you slip off your shoes. This is holy ground." So, I did. And it was. My barefeet on the cool blades of grass was something special.

One thing I always find true in all cemeteries; birds sing there. Good noise is a nice exchange for all the bad noise in our world. Birds build their nests where they believe they can truly find rest. Cemeteries are bird sanctuaries but also often serve as sanctuaries for me.

In this particular cemetery, there are seven or so statues of Jesus -- some portray Jesus as the Good Shepherd, some as the Ascending-to-Heaven Christ, some as the Inviting Jesus, with His arms open wide as if to tenderly say: "Come unto Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

A Christian cemetery is also a good place to read Scripture. Many of the headstones are engraved with the words of the Lord. It seems the opening words of our Lord’s Sermon on the Mount, yes "The Beatitudes," are the most used verses. You know, "The Blessed Ares..." Many of the Psalms are also on display.

There are also some large maple trees in this particular cemetery. With October beginning, the leaves are a lovely mixture of green and red and orange and yellow. Yes, beauty is very much alive even within these burial grounds. Something about that idea renews my hope in The One Who Called Himself "The Resurrection and The Life!" (John 11:25-26)

Finally, the most realized personal truth as I walk through a cemetery is this: my own days on this earth are numbered, nevertheless, everlasting life awaits me just beyond the veil.

While in a cemetery, I am often reminded of the cross-stitch message that hung on a little masonite signboard in my Granny Margery’s house as long as she lived there (and now it hangs in my own house.) What’s the message? "ONLY ONE LIFE ‘TWILL SOON BE PAST AND ONLY WHAT’S DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST!"

Pray with me now, please: "Lord... Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom. Amen." Psalms‬ ‭90:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Images below of my cemetery time, today.















Presence Matters Most! No Invisible People!

UNITY!

Pastor Kerry Willis

No comments: