Thursday, February 21, 2019

Blessing of the Table

Since I was a little child, I remember the blessing being prayed before every meal at our family table. I know my experience is not everyone’s experience, nevertheless, when it comes to this experience of thanking the Lord for each meal, I wish it was everyone’s experience. Praying our thanks to God at the table, in many ways, is not only a blessing of the table, but a also a blessing of those present around the table.

Speaking of the table, I learned in December that I have now inherited from my ancestors -- on my dear Dad’s side of the family -- Type 2 Diabetes. I take two pills daily at mealtime. Therefore, what I do and/or do not eat, is more essential than ever. Let me say, the blessing of the table is now more tender to me than ever. Why? When I pray a blessing on the food, my well-being is more in the mix than ever before. I am grateful more than ever for the blessing of the table.


Since my recent heath diagnosis, I have studied foods more than ever and really am doing my best, so that, when I pray the blessing of the table, I am honestly asking for partnership from the Lord in my eating practices, not just choosing to eat whatever I want and then unrealistically expecting God to perform magic to make everything somehow okay. God is not a magician. However, He does invite us to partner with Him in miracles.

Finally, I will close by sharing a few photos from my "tables" recently. I’ve carefully counted the carbs and really do sense God wanting to bless me at mealtime.

Eggs-in-a-basket with sugar-free raspberry preserves on the lids. Italian bread 6 carbs a slice and tastes like real bread. Costco.


Giavoni’s Caesar Grilled Chicken salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing.


Harvest Chicken salad with fruit and raspberry vinegerette dressing.



Eggs-in-a-basket, sugar-free marmalade and fresh blackberries.


Wonton soup with shrimp, Yummy! But note, I only had a cup, not a bowl. A real table blessing! 

Presence Matters Most!

That is... Presence. Unity. Souls. Love.

Pastor Kerry Willis 


No comments: