Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Learning Curve at Age 52? Worth It!

Okay... Some people refuse to reveal their age. Me? I celebrated 52 years of life on planet earth on June 12, 2013.

Perhaps the most difficult thing about being on-the-way-down-the-hill (over 50) is the high-paced learning curve associated with living and especially communicating in this century. It's maddening. No other way to say it.

Still, I refuse not to give it my best to keep in touch with the younger generation. I mean within reason. I'm not a young whipper-snapper anymore, I know that, but I do not believe it is wise to loose connection.

So how am I keeping up at age 52? Well, I finally did away with my beloved flip-telephone and purchased an intimidating iPhone. The fact is, the learning curve wasn't as difficult as I had imagined. I should've listened to my 24-year-old daughter much sooner and made the change-over. She kept saying, "Dad, you will love the iPhone as a pastor." I do.

So, with the iPhone, I went from typing letters and composing emails (like a dinosaur always sitting at my stationary desk), to texting and blogging and even now, can you believe it, "Tweeting" from wherever I happen to be. Find me on Twitter @PastorKerryW. (I did manage to totally miss out on Facebook, but that's a story for another blog post... perhaps?)

What's especially hard on my brain is when I try to imagine being, say 80 or 90-years-old and trying to understand and negotiate all of the new-fangled ways of life awaiting me further along in the 21st Century. It is a frightening thought. But is it scarier to me than becoming a hermit? I think not. 

What's the point of this blog post? I'm not really sure myself yet. Keep reading and I'll keep writing. :-). 

In many ways all believers need to become missionaries to the present generation and stay in on their conversations. We need to be their spiritual mentors, friends, and encouragers. If we give up on the new ways of communicating we will fail at learning their language and loose opportunities to express life lessons and real love to them.

(Please hold tight because I believe I am now finally arriving at my point!)

Everyone needs compassion. Not only do we need to give it to the younger generations, but we desperately need compassion from them, for ourselves.

So, I beg you not to be guilty of cursing the present and future ways of staying in touch. Don't let fear or frustration or anything disconnect you from others. Lives may eventually depend on it. Even your own life. 

Why? Well, you do know we really do need connection to and compassion from each other? And I personally believe those of us on-the-way-down-the-hill, especially must find it from the present and the future generations. 

Grateful

Note: In case you are curious? I wrote this blog post sitting on the tailgate of my Ford Pickup Truck -- my 21-year-old Ford Ranger. Not sure how old 21 really is in truck years, but we seem to have a lot in common. ;-)