Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"My Cup Overflows"

Summer is zooming past us, in case you needed to know :-). Hard to believe it is already July 17, 2013. Like, "whoa", already. Time continues to carry us closer and closer to Eternity.

How's your day going? Just to be honest with you, I never like beginning my day with back pain, and only to add insult to injury, wouldn't you know that I cut myself shaving. I'm really not whining, just being vulnerable. One of the first verses to come into my mind after I awoke this morning was from the Old Testament Book of Job, chapter 13 and verse 15: "Though He slay me, yet will I hope/trust in Him."

What I am saying is this: Life has a way of making sure we experience some measure of suffering. I know back pain and a facial cut are just small samples of suffering, yet both truly speak to the human condition.

Last evening in our Tuesday Campmeeting service at Table Rock, South Carolina, I continued to share from Matthew 11:28-30 and John 15:4. And once again, I only shared one-page of what I had written down and then the stories just came flowing from my heart.

Somehow, I eventually ended up at The 23rd Psalm -- especially verse 5b: "He anoints my head with oil. My cup overflows." I told the people how any good shepherd anoints his sheep at night so they can rest. The aroma and the rubbing of the oil lets the sheep know they are not alone. Especially it lets the sheep with pain know, they are not alone in their suffering. What comfort.

As a conclusion to the service, I had seven pastors come to the front with anointing oil and then it seemed nearly everyone one in "the fold" came for a fresh touch and a renewed reminder that His Presence, yes the Good Shepherd's Presence, is both with us and within us. In the end, I went to be anointed as well. It was a glorious moment. It's like we all received healing for our restless hearts.

So, this morning when I awoke still experiencing back pain and then I cut myself shaving, I just talked to the Good Shepherd. I am not alone. And though He hasn't seen fit to completely heal me yet, His Holy Presence with me and especially within me makes it all okay. Surely, "my cup overflows" with His Good Presence and I know His grace is enough. My soul is at rest.

Time for me to head out for the morning service. Thanks for your continued prayers, partners.

Baaa. Baaa.
Grateful

No comments: