Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Gifts of Presence and Absence

When we claim for ourselves that we come to our friends in the Name of Jesus - that through us Jesus becomes present to them - we can trust that our leaving will also bring them the Spirit of Jesus. Thus, not only our presence but also our absence becomes a gift to others. -- Henri Nouwen

(5) “Now I’m going to the One Who sent Me. Yet, none of you asks Me where I’m going. (6) But because I’ve told you this, you’re filled with sadness. (7) However, I am telling you the truth: It’s good for you that I’m going away. If I don’t go away, the Helper won’t come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you."
-- Words of Jesus to His Disciples in John 16:5-7 (GWT)

Lord, let us not attempt to become so essential, so necessary in the lives of our family and friends, that they see no need for our leaving which allows The Spirit of Jesus to become more essential and more necessary in their lives. In Jesus' name. Amen.

God's Favor & Unity!
Grateful

No comments: