Friday, March 29, 2019

A Wise Man’s Home-Going Celebration 

I am enroute as I write to speak at my Bible College professor’s home-going celebration in Kansas City. My alarm sounded at 2:30 a.m. I arrived at the airport two hours before my flight was to depart. We had a 2 1/2 hour delay due to airplane mechanical issues. I once heard a seasoned plane captain say: "It’s better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground." So, all is well, though we are still waiting on the runway to fly to NYC in hopes I make my connection to KC. The service is tonight, Friday, at 7 p.m. central time.

Here’s the eulogy I plan to share tonight, assuming Delta cooperates and I can participate. 

* Spoiler Alert 🚨Don’t read if you plan to be present tonight at the celebration! 

Dr. Neil B. Wiseman -- Eulogy -- Kerry Willis

From the Book of Wisdom, Proverbs chapter 11 and verse 30 -- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life and he that winneth souls is wise. (KJV)

My "hero and "friend", Dr. Neil B. was indeed a "Wise Man" and at times a "Wise Guy."

I had Dr. Neil B. Wiseman for Pastoral Theology and Sermon Construction At Nazarene Bible College 1992-1994.

He believed in me and wouldn’t let me get by just being average.

In Sermon Construction I wrote a sermon on one of his favorite passages (because he assigned it to me) -- John 15 -- "I Am the Vine and you are the branches, abide in me and I will abide in you."

He gave me the written sermon back with no grade and said "rewrite it." I said "why." He said your sermon may be better than all the others I received yet I know you can do better. I rewrote it.

As a result, John 15, became what Dr. Wiseman would call "a candy stick message" in my life. A go-to, staple message for my own soul.

In Pastoral Theology Class, I saved Dr. Wiseman’s reputation twice. He had a gray pair of trousers with a lousy zipper. Twice without anyone else in the class knowing -- because I sat in the front row -- I was able to signal Dr. Wiseman during his lectures, that his zipper was down. He made quick stealth recoveries... "on the fly".

And even after I saved his reputation, not to mention his dignity, twice in class and even though I had a high A average, he gave me a final grade of B. When I went to him for justice, he said: "B is a good grade. Besides a B will be good for you." It was my only B at Bible College.

In Pastoral Theology class, Dr. Wiseman taught me many things but three very essential things.

1. Saturation time with the Lord -- tending to my interior life.

2. That he would be on my shoulder for the rest of my life whispering truths like this into my ear: "Beware: There’s going to be at least one very attractive lady in your ministry who will make you feel like you’re special. You’re not! She probably just has a big problem and she wants to make you part of it. 

3. As a pastor, even if I didn’t like asking people for money, I’d eventually get over it.

Dr. Wiseman used to poke fun at my friend and worship leader, Joseph Stoner, whose Pennsylvania accent made it sound like he was singing: "All Hell (instead of All Hail) the Power of Jesus Name." 😆

I left NBC early. Dr. Wiseman didn’t like it because he wanted me to go to Seminary so in his words I could be "A General". I took him to Conway’s RedTop for a cheeseburger in Colorado Springs. He tried to talk me into staying in school but I left for Harrisonburg, VA to pastor because Professors John Williamson and Floyd Perkins gave me the green light.

A while later I called Dr. Wiseman for revival. It was a quiet drive when I picked him up at the airport. He broke the silence with three words: "I was wrong." (He knew the Lord had shown me favor at the local church and souls were coming to Jesus, so he apologized.)

He came again to Virginia and I booked him on a preaching tour of about 4 churches. He wanted to come so he could romance Mrs. Bonnie during the cherry blossom 🌸 season in Washington, D.C. Every time we were together after that, he thanked me for that trip. He loved beauty and he loved Mrs. Bonnie, who is one-in-the-same with beauty. 

When Dr. Wiseman led Small Church Institute for the General Church, he asked me to present two programs -- one on outreach for a live conference and a video presentation and one on people skills for a live event. He said don’t go to a book to prepare, just tell how "you" do outreach and how "you" deal with people. Now, Dr. Wiseman was an editor (That’s why I wasn’t surprised when Brother Daniel Vanderpool called and said "even though you are coming from the east coast to Kansas City, you only get 5 minutes to speak at a one-hour funeral, because that’s all Dr. Wiseman wanted.) Anyway, Dr. Wiseman, as I said, was an editor and when I sent him my Outreach manuscript, he basically reworded my whole presentation. I laughed and told him he could present it himself, because it wasn’t mine anymore, it was now his. He said: "You’re right. Please forget all of my editing suggestions and go back to your original writings."

I thought I went to Nazarene BIble College to become an evangelist, nevertheless, I left as a pastor who also did the work of an evangelist. Dr. Wiseman was a big part of the Lord rerouting my call. Dr. Wiseman said to his students -- passionately and often -- "The most beautiful word in the English language is the word ‘pastor’". 

I have always loved coming to Kansas City for meetings. Whether for General Board or Pension and Benefits Board or District Superintendent training, I always made it a point to contact Dr. Neil and Bonnie Wiseman for supper at their home place -- Santa Marta. 

🐑 This is a figurine from Germany that sat on Dr. Wiseman’s desk. The Wisemans lovingly gave it to me a few weeks ago at our last visit on Thursday, February 21, 2019. Dr. Wiseman cried holy tears at the supper table, as we all ate filet mignon and shared testimonies about the Lord’s faithfulness. 

"Dr. Neil B. Wiseman was a giant oak in our church." David Bowser, DS Mid-Atlantic

Dr. Neil was the real deal. He was real Wise, real faithful, and real funny. 

Finally, What I love about our church is this, over the long-haul, those who were initially your heroes can ultimately become your friends.

Time left for just seven more words...

"We shall meet on that Beautiful Shore!"

 


No comments: