Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Sea

It's no secret that whenever I have exhale seasons in my life, I almost always make my way to the sea. Raised the son, grandson and great-grandson of real-life village fishermen, island roots is where I find renewal. 

This week I am on one of my favorite islands with my wife, Kim, and our hounddog, Lucy, yes the island where my Granny Margery was raised. 

In the Silver Lake Harbor on this island, my Grandaddy Gray often docked to rest from his net-fishing and one night while in this seaside village, he met my Granny. They were married and from this same harbor she left with all of her worldly belonging in an old trunk and moved to his seaside island. 

So, I was raised on my Grandaddy's island, Harkers Island, and this week I am enjoying a week of renewal on my Granny's island, Ocracoke Island. Being here leaves me speechless, humbled and grateful.

A verse of Scripture spoke deeply to me this morning about the sea. 

"Come let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come to Him with thanksgiving... The sea belongs to Him, for He made it." Psalm 95:1-2, 5a NLT

And here are a few images I have taken on Ocracoke Island during these inspiring days.

Pamlico Sound near Silver Lake Harbor entrance where my Great-Grandfather, William (Billy) and his brother, Ivey, were drowned when my Granny Margery was only 12-years-old (read yesterday's blog post for more of the story, "Tender Tears") 

Goose Crossing

Morning glories reminded me of The Trinity

Howard Street (Actually, a dirt road left this way to remind us how Ocracoke Village used to be)

Wood-carved waterfowl

Ocracoke lighthouse

Lucy having her first beach day

Our rented cottage amongst the island cedars with mourning dove's everywhere 

The Church where my Granny Margery attended until she moved to Harkers Island with my Grandaddy as a teenage lady

"Worship Only God!" Rev. 22:9 NLT

Grateful 




      

No comments: