Friday, September 15, 2017

Farthest Coastlands

Psalm 97:1, NLT, "The Lord is King! Let the earth rejoice! Let the farthest coastlands be glad."

As a boy growing up on an island, I always felt far away from everything important, or so it seemed. Of course, I was blessed and did not know it, because too often it's sad but true, familiarity breeds contempt.

As I have been praying Psalm 97, today, while I solemnly sit alongside the Atlantic Ocean, verse one spoke especially close to my inner being. Yes, because "The Lord is King, even those of us at the farthest coastlands have reason to be glad." 

Here, now, I will share once more images of my island roots -- yes, from my Granny's homeland, Ocracoke Island -- and I pray in someway each view will somehow bless you.

Outside chalk board message at the Community Store on Silver Lake 

Ferry about to enter the Silver Lake Harbor at sunset with live oak tree silhouettes along the shoreline

A biker passing by my friend, David ONeal's home and my Granny's home place just beyond

An island front porch at dusk

Best breakfast imaginable is at Pony Island Restaurant, where our friends Vince and Sue are the owners 

Maritime forest next to the lighthouse 

A quick shot during our daily bike rides

The Amen Corner, Village Craftsman, front porch resting place  
 
Our private oceanfront for the day

Lucy loves the smells of the seaside

Brothers ONeal at the Downpoint Decoy Shop

A local "shrine" to local fishermen 

A night of island folk music with the local group, Molasses Creek -- a packed house at the Deep Water Theater

1940 Buick, Howard Street 

A gift carved for me, an Oyster Carcher by Vince

Shrimp Trawler docked in Silver Lake

Lunch prepared for me by my cousin, Chef Jason -- bluefish, collards, garlic bread 

Cousin John Ivey's fig tree

Cousin Debbie's fig preserves

Howard Street primitive gate sign 

Ocracoke Lighthouse after the rain at day's end

Lucy was fascinated on the Oceanside 

Final night at Cedar Grove Cottage on Sunset Drive, 5am ferry in the morning, Saturday 

"Worship Only God!" Rev. 22:9 NLT

Grateful 
 





 

 

  

No comments: