Saturday, September 20, 2014

Are We Keepers & Givers of The Light?

On the little strip of narrow sand along the North Carolina Coast called The Outer Banks, my family was born and raised. The little seaside village known as Ocracoke Island was my Granny Margery Oneal Willis' childhood homeland. I make many pilgrimages there to reconnect with my island roots.

On Ocracoke Island stands and beams the oldest working lighthouse beacon in the state of North Carolina and the second oldest, operating lighthouse in the whole USA. 

As a teenage girl, my Granny met a fisherman who would become her husband, yes, my Granddaddy Gray Willis. They met at a fudge party underneath the lighthouse in the early 1900s. 

So, as an island born and bred boy, I love lighthouses for more reasons than the obvious ones. 

Last evening just after sunset, Kim and I visited the old village beacon (photo below). It amazes me that after all these years, the Ocracoke Lighthouse still stands as a keeper and a giver of the light. It still stands guard in the night gleaming hope across the waves.

Are we keepers and givers of the light?

(If image does not fully display, click on image.)


Grateful 
  

No comments: