Friday, January 17, 2014

A Passionate Poem & A Powerful Psalm -- REPEAT

In case you are curious, over the years I have been posting blogs, this has been the most read entry. I posted it originally on January 2, 2010. Because of its popularity, I thought it would be good to just repeat "the good stuff":


Alfred Lloyd Tenneyson was an English Poet. His classic poem titled, Crossing the Bar was written in 1889, just three years before his death. This is my Dad's favorite poem. He has quoted it to me from memory many times over the years. Because my Dad has spent the majority of his life on the ocean as a shrimp-boat captain, the imagery of the sea is especially meaningful to him when it comes to understanding life and death.

The word "bar" in this poem, for example, has to do with "a final sand bar near a safe harbor before a captain puts his vessel out into the unknown deep". "Moaning" in this poem likely refers to "bad weather". Also, "Pilot" as used by Tenneyson is a synonym for "Captain". It is an endearing title given to "God" by sailors. You might be aware of the cherished hymn, "Jesus, Saviour Pilot Me."

Anyway, here's the passionate poem, Crossing the Bar, by Tenneyson:

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.


But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.


Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark.


For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.

Also, Psalm 107:23-31 is my shrimpboat-captain-dad's favorite Bible passage. I refer to it as The Sailor's Psalm:

(23) Some went off in ships, plying the trade routes of the world. (24) They, too, observed the LORD’S power in action, his impressive works on the deepest seas. (25) He spoke, and the winds rose, stirring up the waves. (26) Their ships were tossed to the heavens and sank again to the depths; the sailors cringed in terror. (27) They reeled and staggered like drunkards and were at their wits’ end. (28) "LORD, help!" they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. (29) He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves. (30) What a blessing was that stillness as he brought them safely into harbor! (31) Let them praise the LORD for his great love and for all his wonderful deeds to them.

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! -- God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

No comments: