Tuesday, February 1, 2011

On Wings of Butterflies

“On Wings of Butterflies”

Ruth Paylor

The day had come, the scene was set, soft music filled the air,

Family and friends had gathered, this special day to share.

The hour came, they entered, each took an honor place,

With hearts so full of happiness, reflecting on each face.

And then my daughter entered, a radiant bride was she.

The groom with sunlight on his face was handsome as could be.

My son and his wife were standing there, they made a charming pair

And then my heart grew heavy, for the son who wasn’t there.

Now a butterfly has always been a special joy to see.

It seemed from out of nowhere, the air was filled with three.

Then four, then five, then dozens began to fly about,

They lit on bridal party, they fluttered o’er the crowd.

They flew above the altar with sunshine on their wings,

My heart which once was heavy, began to leap and sing.

The minister began to bless, this special hour of love,

And God who wished me happiness, sent blessings from above.

I knew my prayers were answered, the day was bright and fair.

The son who couldn’t be there, I seemed to hear him declare:

“I bring you joy to lift you up, a joy your soul can feel,

For God who hears and answers prayer, the broken heart can heal.

I’m with you mom in spirit, with sister, brother, dad,

And memories of the years we shared, the good times that we had.

So when your heart is troubled and teardrops dim your eyes,

Through God I’ll send you joy and peace…On Wings of Butterflies!


Note: My dear childhood friend, Jeffrey Kent Paylor, made his passing at age 19 after a very heart-wrenching car fatality. His mom, Ruth Paylor, who was like a second mom to me as a boy, wrote these words on the day of her daughter, Linda’s, wedding a few years after Jeff’s departure. My only son, Grayson, bears Jeff’s middle name as his own -- Grayson Kent Willis.

Your pain is still in my heart, Mrs. Ruth.

I'm grateful for you.

No comments: