Sunday, February 6, 2011

Keepers of The Lighthouses

A friend of mine, Keith D., found the words in italics below on a page of a book titled, "Leaves of Gold". He sent the words to me because our local church's annual men's retreat to The Outer Banks of North Carolina (now in its seventeenth year) is called "Keepers of the Light". Being raised along the coastline, it's a moving piece of literature for my heart, mind, and soul:

Keepers of the lighthouses do not launch any ships, it is true, but they keep many a good ship from going to wreck. The light shines farther than keepers of the light can see, and brightest when they cannot see at all. Two things they have to remember -- to keep the light burning, and never to get in between the light and the darkness they've been set to lighten.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. -- Words of Jesus in Matthew 5:14 (NIV)

Lord, I want to be a keeper of Your Light, that is, I want to keep the light of Your Hope that burns within me shining at all times. Also, help me not to block out the light, lest those lost in sin's dark night would not see the shine of Your Presence and tragically not find their way Home to You. In Jesus's name. Amen.


Be Light. Go Shine.
Grateful

2 comments:

KLW said...

And I thank God for the lighthouse,
I owe my life to Him.
For Jesus is the lighthouse
And from the rocks of sin;
He has shone a light around me
That I could clearly see,
If it wasn't for the lighthouse
Tell me where would this ship be.

If it wasn't for the lighthouse,
Tell me, where would this ship be?

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

We owe our all to the One Who is The Light of the World.