Friday, September 14, 2018

Storm Weary

I remember in 2014, our family was in a storm. My Dad, Capt. Billy, was in fact, in the storm of his life. He was facing cancer and death right in the face and eyes. The diagnosis came during my sabbatical, but my season of rest was compromised by Dad’s storm weary season.

I wrote earlier this week how in 1989, my Dad survived Hurricane Hugo’s 150 mph winds in his shrimp boat (of all places). Yes, all night long, near Charleston, South Carolina, Dad stared down what could have been death by drowning. 

Well, when 2014 came, I have no doubt that Dad’s sea storm of 1989, somehow helped prepare Him to stare down death and cancer. As a matter of fact, the night before Dad passed, he would not be distracted. He was fully focused in a storm. He was obviously facing down that last great enemy, death. So, Dad did die physically during the fourth watch of the night, around 3 am, November 17, 2014, but He surely made it through that storm to the beautiful shores of his Heavenly Home. His storm weariness gave way to soul restfulness. 

Today, my brain is a little storm weary as my heart is very heavy for my family and friends who have been and still are battling Hurricane Florence down in the Carolinas. It’s not my storm, but it still causes me true weariness. 

Just like in 2014, it was Dad’s cancer storm, not mine, but honestly, it sort of took the life out of me, too. Why? Because I loved Dad so much. Same with my family and friends in the wake of this hurricane. I love them so much. So, okay, I may not be in the storm physically with them, but believe me I am storm weary with them in spirit. This has been a week of vacation for me, but like my sabbatical, it has been compromised by this storm. 

Please keep praying for our family and friends down south and especially down east in Carteret County, North Carolina. My Mom held up well Thursday night through Florence’s 105 mph winds, but because of phone service further east, we have yet to talk with Kim’s Mom. We are trusting our strong Holy God, but still we are humanly storm weary, indeed. Nevertheless, all is well! 

Here are a few images from the day...


Someone sent a photo of the Harkers Island, North Carolina bridge sinkhole damage. 


The little Rehoboth Lighthouse here in Delaware inspired me. 


We had supper — fish and chips — 🇬🇧 Brit-style. 


Sign reminded me of Dad and my coastal loved ones. 


Fish and Chips. Ate seafood to support my coastal people, especially fishermen. 

Presence Matters Most!
That is... Presence. Unity. Souls. Love. 

Pastor Kerry Willis 

No comments: