Tuesday, August 28, 2018

My Friend, Duane.

A number of years back, I met a man — fifteen years older than me — who would become my close friend. His sister, Vickie, who was attending our church, learned that I collected hand-carved wooden waterfowl decoys, so she gave me a little flying Canada Goose her brother, Duane, had made for her. Soon after that tender event, she introduced me to her awesome brother. 

Duane is one of the most compassionate men I’ve ever known. His life-vocation was a police officer, even serving our city for a while as Chief of Police. His expertise may have been in investigation, as he helped to solve an awful crime in our area back in the day. 

Anyway, Duane, in retirement, cared for his elderly parents in their home for years. Neglecting his own needs, he made their needs his own. I have never known a son to care for his dad and mom like he did. It inspired my heart, especially during the season my own dad was suffering with cancer. 

Speaking of cancer, Duane is having radiation 5 days a week for his own diagnosis. I have never met anyone more positive during such a tender health season as Duane. Everyone who engages him in conversation about it hears these words: “Well, either way my cancer goes, I win.” Yes, he is living out those deep words The Apostle Paul spoke in Philippians: “To live is Christ and to die is gain.” It’s amazing to witness. 

This week we shared a meal together. He told me how much he enjoys going to the radiation treatments so he can encourage the other patients. Amazing, heh! 

Another thing I have in common with Duane is our fascination with pottery. Years ago he connected me with his friend, Rob, who is a world renown potter in the tradition of the Japanese masters. Rob’s pottery is on display in the Smithsonian Institute, yet, when I visited his studio with Duane, he gave me a few pieces of his highly sought after work. Friendship is something else. 

Duane just stopped by my home for a few minutes to check on Kim, Lucy and myself. We were in Virginia for a couple days to regroup before returning to our mission field up north. Today, after his radiation treatment, he stopped by a store and bought Kim a spray container of Mace. Always thinking of others, he said Kim may need this when walking the dog at night. We laughed when I replied that my only hope is she doesn’t spray me with it.

As Duane was leaving our front steps he said the doctor suggested that after his treatment ends perhaps Duane would just keep coming by the radiation suite to volunteer and to be an encouragement to other patients there. Duane said he’d love that. He said Saturdays and Sundays are lower days for him because he only gets to go for his radiation Monday through Friday. His holy outlook on life is unbelievable, yet true. 

Pray for my friend, Duane. He is such a servant of others. He reminds me of Jesus. 


Humbled to look out the window Tuesday and to see my friend, Duane, stopping by to bless us after his radiation treatment. A double-blessing Tuesday, indeed. 


Hand-carved flying Canada Goose by Duane. 

Presence Matters Most!
That is... Presence. Unity. Souls. Love. 

Pastor Kerry Willis 

No comments: