Friday, August 23, 2013

"Always and Forever"

Early this morning my mind is thinking about the beautiful journey called marriage. Today is the 33rd Wedding Anniversary for my lovely wife, Kim, and her charming husband, Kerry. (I hear you laughing.)

Well, 33 years ago today, I was making sure my white tuxedo with tails was perfect. I know these days white tuxedos seem a little ridiculous to many but in the late 1970's and early 1980's, the white tux with tails was the rave, my man.

Indeed, 33 years ago seems like another lifetime. My bride and I were just 19-years-old. Wanting to do something special for my new wife, a lady at my new photo studio job, Nancy, advised me to have a dozen roses delivered to the room we would spend our first night in -- The Atlantis Lodge. It worked like a charm. It made a big impression on my young wife, because she knew how financially broke we were. (It may have been my first charge with a credit card, actually.)

Anyway, we had a lovely wedding in Kim's hometown of Sea Level, N.C., a coastal village about 25 minutes from my native Harkers Island. Family and friends packed that little white church. 

The people came to see us get married, but they also came to hear the music. Two of the very best vocalists and musicians in the state of North Carolina happened to be my very close friends -- Cllinton Nelson and Donald Crooms.

We had a lot of love songs. People wiped tears as Donald sang Heatwave's classic,  "Always and Forever" and as Clint sang Dan Fogelberg's "Longer" and as Clint and his wife, Joy, sang James Taylor's and Carly Simon's "Devoted to You." (Music from especially the mid-to-late 70's is still the best of any generation.)

When the swinging doors of the church opened wide and the organ music sounded, there she was -- the most beautiful girl in the world and about to be mine. In the flicker of the candle light, we made promises to love one another "Always and Forever." The promises still hold true.

Last evening, I officiated a wedding for a charming 76-year-old man and a lovely 66-year-old lady. All I can say is marriage and true love is beautiful at any age -- 19, 52, and beyond many years.

I believe the most essential reason The Lord gave marriage to humanity was to illustrate the intimacy and intensity of Love He desires with us, His Bride, the Church. 

You do know, a wedding is being planned in Heaven. Have you said "yes" yet to the engagement proposal of Jesus? He wants more than friendship with us. He wants marriage. And Talk about "Always and Forever!" This is it! For sure! Amen.

Grateful

4 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Congratulations to you both.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and a beautiful "ONE" the two of you are!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

God's mercy still amazes me...

KLW said...

May the Lord give you and your bride another 33 years together.