Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Bobby's Boy And a Son of the Church

Yesterday, a friend of mine, David Busic, was elected on the 21st ballot to be the 40th General Superintendent of The International Church of the Nazarene. Here's the report from Nazarene News. You will love the story.


David Busic acceptance speech
Indianapolis, Indiana
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
David Busic, president of Nazarene Theological Seminary, was elected the 40th general superintendent of the Church of the Nazarene.

Busic greeted the assembly. (video)
My brothers and sisters, I find myself experiencing two different emotions at once – incredible gratitude to the church and to God,” he said. ‘Without the grace of God I have nothing and am nothing, and apart from the church I am given nothing. The other emotion I have is amazing humility that the church would extend this honor to me. I’ve never felt adequate for the call that God has placed on my life, but I have always known His power to help me to do what He has called me to do.
And it is providential that an article on Scripture would be given prior to this election because I have submitted myself to the authority of God’s Word for all of my adult life. I have served the church and I love this church.
I want to tell you a story to help you know why I love the church so much.
My friend Bobby was 10 years old when his father was tragically killed, leaving he and his four brothers and sisters homeless. Bobby was 10 when social services found Bobby and his four little brothers and sisters; they were living in a farmer’s haystack in Weston, Nebraska. They put those five children in foster care across the state of Nebraska and from the age of 10 to the age of 18 Bobby lived in nine different foster care homes.
On top of that, Bobby was also affected by polio as a child so he had trouble walking. And he walked with a limp and he talked with a speech impediment and he therefore didn’t do well in school. He wasn’t in the same school for more than a year. He didn’t graduate from high school, so Bobby felt insecure and inadequate and friendless.
But when he was 17 years old there was a Nazarene family in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, that took him in. And for the very first time Bobby heard the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And he said if this is true, this is the best thing I’ve ever heard and I’ll say ‘yes.’
Bobby gave his life to Christ and at 18 when he was out of the foster care system he came back to that little Nazarene church in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, and he met a young girl and they fell in love and they married.
Bobby felt called to the ministry. He felt called to preach, but because of his physical limitations he wasn’t able to pursue that call. Instead, he gave his life to the church. He moved him and his young wife to Bethany, Oklahoma, where for the next 25 years he gave his life in service to Bethany Nazarene College and Southern Nazarene University, and hundreds of people were impacted by the life of Bobby.
When he died at the age of 50 so many people packed the church that there was an overflow crowd up in the foyers, and one by one people came by to Bobby’s family and told them one story after another about how Bobby’s life had impacted them for Christ.
The reason that story means so much to me is that Bobby was my dad.
[Applause]
And now you know why I love this church so much.
This church has given me everything I have. I am committed to this church. I have submitted to the will of the church and I trust the Lord and the church. And with great humility I accept your affirmation.

[Applause]
I commit to be the kind of leader who continues to lead us into our best days as a Christian church, as a holiness church and as a missional church.
Thank you for your prayers. We love you, and we are servants to you.
Thank you.
[Applause]
 
David Busic is "A Prince of a Man"...
Grateful... humbled...

 

No comments: