Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter Afterglow: Encouraged in a Cemetery

In the afterglow of Resurrection Sunday I was able to take a few days away from my normal routine for personal reflection and solitude. My wife and I traveled back to the coast to be with our parents for a short stay in our native North Carolina homeland.

While there I visited the burial site of my Granny Margery and Granddaddy Gray. Though I have made many trips to the humble island cemetery, I had not really recognized clearly a Scripture verse at the very bottom of Granny and Granddaddy's shared headstone. I knelt on the ground to read it clearly. As I was there on my knees my heart was strangely warmed. Yes, I was wonderfully encouraged in a cemetery by the words of Jesus, maybe sort of like Mary of Magdala was. (Well, at least Mary of Magdala and Kerry of Carolina were both in a cemetery and Mary of Magdala and Kerry of Carolina were both experiencing the afterglow of The Resurrection of The Lord Jesus.)

Anyway, the Scripture engraved on my grandparents' gravestone is a sentence spoken by Jesus when He came to Bethany just before resurrecting His friend, Lazarus:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.
-- Words of Jesus in John 11:26a (KJV)

Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.
-- Words of Jesus in John 11:26a (GWT)

Click here: Margaret Becker - Say the Name - YouTube

John 20:11-18 may offer extra encouragement for your heart today.

Say The Name! JESUS! Because of Him death is defeated!
Grateful

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Give Him the Glory...family is one of his gifts that so many of us hold dear. may that faithfulness only grow.thank you.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks for your time and comment. Blessings.

KLW said...

Jesus said: "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them,
and they follow me. I give them eternal life,
and they shall never perish;
no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father,
who has given them to me, is greater than all;
no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.
I and the Father are one" John 10:27-30.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Grateful for your comments.