Thursday, August 26, 2010

Take Time to Remember & To Be Revived

I have learned one thing for sure in my forty-nine years: Unless we take to time to remember where we came from, we won't know where we're going, and we won't know who we are when we get there.

As I remember these words today, I am in a season of soul-sabbatical. Being the son of an Atlantic Coast fisherman, I have purposely planned seasons within my sabbatical season to return to and from my sandy-and-salty roots. Yes, indeed. If you were to take a look at my sabbatical calendar you would notice immediately that the skeleton of my schedule is actually held together by numerous back-and-forth journeys to and from the Atlantic Ocean. I just returned from a three-day season there. The first three days of my sabbatical were spent alongside the East Coast seashore. During this time, I wrote words akin to these in my daily journaling:

I never feel more alive than when I am standing alongside The Graveyard of the Atlantic. It is here that I remember where I came from and seemingly the location from which my Lord has so often sent me back to my present calling having been revived for the future.

I covet your prayers as I have been given this sacred season by my Faithful God and His generous local church -- a time-out-time-frame to be remembering and to be revived. Please pray for me along these three lines:

(1) That I will wholly recover from the past.
(2) That I will wholeheartedly celebrate in the present.
(3) That I will holy envision for the future.

And all In the Name of Jesus, of course.

This passage from Lamentations 3:17-26 (NLT) somehow contains the mystery of what I am trying to communicate when I say: Take time to remember and to be revived:

(17) Peace has been stripped away, and I have forgotten what prosperity is. (18) I cry out, "My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the LORD is lost!" (19) The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. (20) I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. (21) Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: (22) The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By His mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. (23) Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each day. (24) I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in Him!" (25) The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for Him and seek him. (26) So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD.


IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

8 comments:

KLW said...

A sabbatical gets one off the treadmill and provides an opportunity for renewal of vision and hope. It's more than just a change to recharge your batteries for another year. It can be a life changing time-a time when perspective and the Holy Spirit can come together." We are looking forward to your return and the leadership of the Holy Spirt.
Father God, we ask in the name of Jesus that You would answer the pray of Pastor Willis.
1. That he would wholly recover from the past.
2. That he would wholeheartedly celebratein the present.
3. That he would envision the future.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Grateful for the sabbatical words and the specific prayers especially. ALL JOY!

James Spruill said...

Powerful thoughts, you touch my heart. "There remains therefore a Rest for the people of God." His rest is retreat from what we can not do on our own. It comes from knowing the difference between our part and His part. jfs

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Spoken like a true mentor (and you are my mentor). Humbled for the affirmation. :-).

aerocatzz said...

I guess there was an underlying reason I was thinking of you when I was there , you followed right behind
Enjoy your time and your in my thoughts this week , and I am Not sure why , buts its all good .. miss you brother, Creig

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Miss you as well. Maybe the Lord will bring y'all back home. :-)

Martin LaBar said...

Lamentations? We don't often go there.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

True. Only sometimes. :-)