Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Time Flies

I have had some time for reflection this week and one thing I know for sure is this: "TIME FLIES!" One song writer said it best: "the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." (It’s at least one secret of life.)
I have lived most of my years with a very grateful heart. Especially, the latter years of my life. The older I get the more glad I am about that reality of my chosen attitude of gratitude over the years. I think one of the great regrets in life can be not appreciating the times of our lives.

It’s true, we cannot live in the past, however, taking time to reflect on our yesterdays can truly give us a better perspective for our todays and our tomorrows. In other words, the past is a great teacher.

So, I would counsel you from time-to-time to reflect back on your life. Your family. Your friends. Your faith. It’s not for the faint-hearted, but it is good for the soul. I tend to cry and laugh and become very quiet when I am being reflective. Today, has been like that.
I am the oldest I’ve ever been. Yes, 57 now, almost 58. Often, it seems hard for me to believe that I will be 60-years-old in-the-blink-of-an-eye. To be honest, the thought at times can take my breath away. Yes, indeed! "TIME FLIES!"

For perspective, this morning I talked on the phone with my 80-year-old ministry mentor. James is so obviously grateful for his life so far and believes the Lord has recently told him he will have "at least 5 more good years of ministry -- preaching and teaching. Maybe more," Hearing his passion for the future helps me on a reflective day Like Imammhaving, today. Because, while I truly tend to mourn somewhat over the past that has seemingly slipped through my fingers like sand, I presently know and believe that the future is still preferred for Jesus-believers like me.
My prayer today is made of of words I penned for an an old Lordship Season theme I led our local church through maybe a dozen years ago now:

"Lord, help me to savor my yesterdays, to seize my todays and to see my tomorrows. Let my day of reflection give to my life your redirection. Woo me forward with the heavenly vision. Remind me that while "TIME FLIES" here on earth, in Heaven with You, Eternity is forever. In Your Holy Name, Jesus, I ask. Amen."

Evening sky today reminded me of Heaven’s glory.

Presence Matters Most!
That is... Presence. Unity. Souls. Love.
Pastor Kerry Willis

No comments: