Sunday, February 8, 2015

Israel -- The Cross -- Sunday

Today, was my 4th day on my latest discipleship journey to The Holy Land. 

Here are some of the places I walked on this Lord's Day:

1. Bethlehem, where Jesus was born...
2. The Palm Sunday Route down the Mt. Of Olives, where Jesus rode a donkey and wept...
3. The Upper Room, where Jesus served and consoled...
4. Gethsemane, where Jesus prayed and was arrested...
5. The Praetorian, where Jesus was whipped and mocked...
6. Golgotha, where Jesus was crucified and died...

Just imagine what a sacred day I had. But there's one story that was a first here in The Holy Land for me and it happened at a Jewish Holy Site near The Upper Room where King David's burial is remembered.

We entered the site carefully and prayerfully. The ladies went in one room and the men in another. Orthodox Jews were very welcoming to us as Jesus-believers. However, once we were all the way in, one of the young men came to me and made a gesture to let me know that my silver cross pendant was a no-no in this place. He seemed quite displeased that I had somehow been allowed to walk into his religious space with such a visible reminder of my relationship with Jesus of Nazareth -- the Rabbi of all rabbis.

Though I was must admit that I was momentarily surprised by the young man of Judaism's approach, I simply smiled kindly, put my hand on the cross and gently shoved it under my shirt and over my heart as I prepared my exit. 

Once out of the room, I reflected on how for about three years now, I have worn around my neck on a black string my quite simple yet profound, silver, three-nail, cross pendant. I actually purchased it in Jerusalem. Indeed, my little silver cross has started many Cross conversations in that time and mostly good ones, I might add. Oh, I've heard many comments and received different types of glances, but today is the first time the cross has been rejected so obviously. Yes, today is the first time someone approached me cross because of The Cross. 

I can't help but wonder what King David would've said to the cross, young man who rebuked me because I am not ashamed of the Cross of Jesus Christ? After all, one title for my Jesus is "Son of David".

Today, as I walked toward Golgotha, yes, along the route through Jerusalem where Jesus carried His Cross, I knew a little deeper why it is called the The Way of Suffering!    

I will only boast in The Cross! 

 And, tonight I pray that all of his study of the Scriptures will lead the young man of Judaism to know my Savior as his Messiah.

Give away your life...


Photo of a painting on the ceiling of one of the prayer chapels along The Way of Suffering in Jerusalem. 

Grateful 

No comments: