Friday, March 7, 2014

Airports -- Party of One?

Airports are interesting places to encounter humanity and to illustrate life itself. I have spent much time traveling and more than my share of moments moving through airports.

Sometimes as I am journeying, in my mind it seems I can hear the island voices from the little church of my childhood singing that old hymn: "My Heavenly Home is Bright and Fair, Oh, I Feel Like Traveling On!"

Airports have taught me a lot. Most recently I learned something about loneliness as I waited in line at an airport restaurant. Seems everyone was traveling solo and the hostess kept calling out names over and over and giving this invitation: "Party of One, Your table is ready!"

"Party? Of One?" Talk about an oxymoron? How sad is a party when you are all by your lonesome?

Now, before you start feeling sorry for me, let me interrupt you with Good News. As Jesus was physically ascending from planet earth back to His Father in Heaven, He made a wonder-filled promise: " Surely, I am with you always even to the very end of time!"

When my son and daughter were young, I taught them a simple acrostic of assurance so they would always know they'd never ever have to be a " Party of One." The four letters in the acrostic are: R.W.W.Y. R.emember W.ho's W.ith Y.ou!

You know over the years that little saying has become more and more wonderful to me. Jesus has taught me, even in lonely airports, He is more intimate with me than I ever knew. Now, the R.W.W.Y. reminds me: R.emember W.ho's W.ithin Y.ou!

I am so glad that while I travel to my Heavenly Home, the Spirit of Jesus has made His Home within me.

That's called a Party of Two and it's not an oxymoron at all!

Grateful

No comments: