Saturday, May 12, 2012

On The Wings of Hummingbirds

One of my two daily devotional thought books for this year is a classic by Andrew Murray titled, "Teach Me to Pray". While it may sound crazy, sometimes the longer I walk with the Lord the less I seem to understand prayer. Could it be that the closer we get to Him the more mighty, marvelous, and mysterious He becomes? At the same time, the longer I walk with the Lord, the more desperate I realize I am for His Presence.

Yesterday was Friday, my regularly scheduled day off each week. It was a lovely day, so I placed a comfortable chair in our backyard underneath our Bradford Pear tree and just sat seeking the Lord's Presence. I whispered, "Lord, I am desperate for You." Within seconds of my near-silent plea, the first hummingbird of the season hovered right past my head to a feeder just feet from where I was sitting. Say I am crazy, but I knew it was the Lord.

A few minutes later I sent a message to my mentor, James Spruill, about my feeble prayer and God's hummingbird. Here was his immediate reply: I often see God in the small things. I wonder if you can't see Him in the small things if you can see Him in the big things?

Lord, thank you for Your patience as You moment-by-moment "Teach Me To Pray". Let me realize Your Presence as often as You desire and in any way You choose to manifest Yourself, even on, especially on, the wings of hummingbirds. I love You so much because You first loved me TOO MUCH. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

What God demands of us, He will work within us.
-- Andrew Murray

Come Holy Spirit, I Need Thee.
Come Sweet Spirit, I Pray.
Come in Thy Strength and Thy Power.
Come in Thine Own Gentle Way!


Grateful

2 comments:

KLW said...

Open my eyes lord so i can see you
Open my heart lord so i can love you
Teach me your ways i will follow
Through every test and every trial
Open my ears lord so i know your voice

There's no other way to live this life
But according to your will
So i will bless the day that you came into my life
And made a change that's everlasting

Open My Eyes Lord
by Joann Rosario

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Yes, open the eyes of my heart, Lord. I want to see You.