Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How Great Thou Art - How Great You Are

Let all that I am praise the Lord.
O Lord my God, how great You are!

-- Psalm 104:1a (NLT)

Twice yesterday I was reminded of my Granddaddy Lloyd's favorite hymn, How Great Thou Art. Once I was reminded in an e-mail from the worship pastor at our local church, Joseph, who said he's had the hymn on his mind. Again it came through loud and clear in my Bible reading last evening, yes, Psalm 104:1.

Here's the Hymn:


How Great Thou Art, The Hymn:

Verse 1:
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Verse 2:
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:
(Repeat Refrain.)

Verse 3:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

(Repeat Refrain.)

Verse 4:
When Christ shall come with shouts of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

(Repeat Refrain.)

And I love this less familiar verse from the original nine verses of the beloved hymn...

When crushed by guilt of sin before thee kneeling,
I plead for mercy and for grace and peace,
I feel thy balm and, all my bruises healing,
My soul is filled, my heart is set at ease.

Holiness Unto the LORD!
Grateful

4 comments:

KLW said...

Today millions across the world continue to sing this beautiful song. Giving God all praise, glory, and honor for who He is -- the Creator of this universe.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Yessirree.

Unknown said...

Tuesday I was reminded and testified in an interview of singing "How Great Thou Art" in St. Anne's Church in Israel, watching God solidify my faith in a deeper way. Truly HE IS GREAT and GREATLY to be PRAISED.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Amen. Amen.