Saturday, February 6, 2010

Like & Love a Good Neighbor

There is a familiar insurance company slogan that includes these four words: Like a Good Neighbor. However, this morning when I was beginning my seemingly non-stop, winter wonderland, snow shoveling, I suddenly heard the sound of a loud engine and then when I saw the sneaky, boyish grin of my across-the-street neighbor, Philip, coming my way with his brand-new, heavy-duty snow blower, my soul sang out these four words: Love a Good Neighbor! What a blizzard-day blessing Philip was to my blurry, ice-lined eyeballs! :-)

While Philip was in the midst of his blizzard-day blessing to me, I opened the back door and called for Kim to bring me my pocket-knife collection. I selected one of my prized pieces (still in the box) and walked across my soon-to-be-snow-removed, asphalt driveway and handed it to Philip. He smiled as I said: Philip, whenever you see this "pocket knife", remember that "Pastor Kerry" appreciates you! (Of course, "P.K." = "pocket knife" and/or "Pastor Kerry".) My good neighbor smiled and told me: Get in the house, Pastor Kerry. I'll knock the rest of this out in no time at all.

I went in the house, took off my wet clothes, and through a frost-covered window snapped a photo of Philip and his big, snow-blowing machine. As I focused the camera, tears came into my eyes. I prayed for Philip and his precious family. Later, while on the phone with my dad, I retold the story and said, Funny how God can use a heavy snowfall to help us Love a Good Neighbor!

Proverbs 3:28 (NLT) -- If you can help your neighbor now, don’t say, "Come back tomorrow, and then I’ll help you."

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

4 comments:

pastor paul said...

Phillip is a good guy. He reminds me of another Philip that I've read about. Philip, the deacon, was faithful in his outreach and went out of his way to help other. God blessed him with four daughters! Daughters and snow-blowers; blessings from the Father for our faithfulness. Enjoy the snow and put another log on the fire!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Great contrast -- the two Philips. They're calling for 3 feet of snow in D.C. It skirted us a tad, so I think we'll receive 20-plus inches before it's all over, maybe?

Bill said...

I also was blessed today with the soft feet of a neighbor with a Big Red Snow Removing Machine. I was attempting to remove a massive amount of snow from my driveway with a old fashion tool-a shovel. My neighbor said let me help you. What a blessing. I was in the process of shoveling out to get a medicine package delivered to one of our FedEx customers. As a society, I pray that we will realize that our neighbors are there everyday and that we have the opportunity to be the physical hands of our LORD and Redeemer in our neighborhoods each and everyday. Blessings, Bill

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks Bill. When I think of a good neighbor, you surely come to mind to me. May we be the body of Christ.