Monday, February 8, 2010

"Help My Unbelief!"

It was just before midnight. Because of snowy roads, I was driving my 22-year-old son to his night shift at the local radio station in my four-wheel-drive. We had a sacred and soul-searching talk about the Lord as we rode. Just before I dropped him off, and in light of our conversation about faith, my son asked: Dad, why do we tend to struggle trusting God concerning the future when He's always been so faithful in the past?

Mark 9:24 (NKJV) -- Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

This is my prayer and desire for me and my family, Lord:

For Your present and future favor, we ask!
In Your past and present faithfulness, we bask!

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

2 comments:

Mark Spruill said...

I sometimes think it is not always about trusting for the future. I do believe God will work it all out in the end. But I also know he has not promised the road will always be smooth. I dread the bumps in the road, even though I know God will work them for my good.

Mark "The Pessimist"

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

So true Mark. When you used the word dread, I knew exactly what you meant by it. People who say they delight in and enjoy the bumps in the road often confuse me. People who dread but say I'll endure the bumps in the road inspire me. I'd say Jesus dreaded the bumpy Road to Calvary, but I am so glad He endured the Road to Calvary. Maybe it's all about surrendering in the present so we can be present at the end of the bumpy road? Consider it ALL JOY! Lord help me to. (Joy is very different than happiness.)