Sunday, January 3, 2010

Surrendered Heart. In Unity. We Get To.

By now, must who of you probably know that I was a professional photographer for about fifteen years before becoming a full-time minister. Though I do not use my photo skills often these days, I do publish a yearly full-color calendar titled "Surrendered Heart" and it contains photos I have taken of the places I love or have traveled in the previous year. The purpose of the "Surrendered Heart" calendar is to encourage others day-by-day, or at least month-after-month and yes, it is one way to keep my creative skills at least dusted off?

My 2010 calendars are almost totally distributed now, marking seven straight years of publishing these "Surrendered Heart" calendars. While there are thirteen color photos in each collection -- a front cover image and a monthly selection -- the final page of the calendar is the most important to me. Yes, on the back inside cover of each yearly calendar I write inspiring words that are especially close to my heart and take time to dedicate each particular calendar.

In today's blog entry, I have decided to print the words from this year's back inside calendar cover. I hope it inspires your life in some meaningful measure.

"Surrendered Heart -- We don’t have to. We get to."

True Love has a Surrendered Heart.
True love is marked by giving, not getting.
We love because we want to.

Philemon 8, is an irresistible and inspiring invitation:
“I appeal to you on the basis of love…”
In other words: “You don’t have to. You get to.”

In John 14:15, Jesus teaches us that our love is proven by our will.
Listen to His Love letter:
“If you love me, you will obey what I command.”
We do not obey Him to prove we are His.
We obey Him because we are His.

We love God so much, because He first loved us too much.
Holy God is True Love.

True Love is not a job-description. True Love is all joy-description.
True Love is not about hard and stressful, religious duty,
but holy and blissful, relational devotion.

True Love is undeniably about pleasure, not pressure --
opportunity, not obligation -- invitation, not intimidation.

I dedicate this year's calendar to the local church that has partnered
with me in Love & Unity for 16 years. We don’t have to. We get to.
Yes, to the family -- Harrisonburg First Church of the Nazarene --
You’re a generous people. I’m a grateful pastor. All Joy!

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! - God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

4 comments:

pastor paul said...

Appreciate your insights! Let's be first behind Jesus!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I pray that 2010 is your best year to date. "Christ in you, the Hope of glory!" Col. 1:27b

James Spruill said...

A Great Church and a Great Pastor with words of wisdom. I love you both.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks for investing in us brother. We are humbled.