Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Facing Fear? Pray: "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me!"

I woke up early this morning in a deep spirit of personal prayer. These six words of comfort and assurance from God's Word in Proverbs 3:25 (NIV) were on my mind as I inhaled and exhaled the presence of my Lord: Have no fear of sudden disaster!

When I went to bed last night, the words of an old hymn of the church were among my last thoughts. This hymn was sung at my Grandaddy Gray's homegoing service when I was in the seventh grade. My granddaddy, a boat captain, recognized, like every wise boat captain recognizes, Jesus is the Pilot. Hear now the words of the hymn and have no fear of sudden disaster:

Jesus, Savior, pilot me over life's tempestuous sea;
unknown waves before me roll, hiding rock and treacherous shoal.
Chart and compass come from Thee; Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

As a mother stills her child, Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
boisterous waves obey Thy will, when thou sayest to them, "Be still!"
Wondrous Sovreign of the Sea, Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

When at last I near the shore, and the fearful breakers roar
'twixt me and the peaceful rest, then, while leaning on Thy breast,
may I hear Thee say to me, "Fear not, I will pilot thee."

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

10 comments:

James Spruill said...

You inspire me. I had not read your blog when I wrote mine so I am blessed for the conformation. I have learned to put a comma after life's events not a period. jfs

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

AMEN BROTHER. And let's not forget, that "our earthly lives are fragile around us, but His Eternal Life is forever within us!!!" The rest of our days will be the best of our days.

James Spruill said...

This moment, next hour, today, tomorrow, this week, next month, next year, Heaven!!!! jfs

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

HALLELUJAH!

Lauren @ mercy(INK) said...

PK: Blessed by this encouraging word today. We serve the Prince of Peace in the midst of every storm!

pastor paul said...

Thoughts and moments with the Spirit of the Savior! Amen friends!

pastor paul said...

Prayer request! I have dear friends on Harkers Island whose marriage is in the grasp of the enemy. Plead over them!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I plead with the Pilot on behalf of your prayer request Paul. And thanks also to Lauren for your inspiring comment. He is our Prince of Peace, inceed.

Martin LaBar said...

A good six-word prayer.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks Martin. Let's pray again that six-word prayer: Have no fear of sudden disaster!