Friday, December 4, 2020

"AKIN TO THE ADVENT SEASON!"

"AKIN TO THE ADVENT SEASON"

A mental health awareness moment: 

Today, i am sharing perhaps the most vulnerable words i have ever shared publicly. It won’t be a surprise to those who know my story well, but for some it may be a breath-taker.

My family on my Mom’s side have seemingly always battled depression, discouragement, and even despair for generations now. When my grandfather was born, the family said "his mother lost her mind." She had to be cared for in the upstairs of the old homeplace until she passed 57 years later. My granddaddy’s older sister cared for her all of those days and never married herself. It’s called sacrificing for the family. [My granddaddy’s aunts raised him as their own.]

My grandfather continued to carry the family suffering himself and would have two nervous breakdowns before passing away himself at age 85. [He was such a Jesuslike man.]

My Mom, his daughter, the third generation has been burdened with what she calls "bad nerves" for most of her days and nights as well. No official nervous breakdowns yet. She’s almost 79. She says the Lord’s presence and her love for her family have kept her above it, but she’s the first to say most people don’t "just get over it" in their lifetime. At least two of her sons know it’s true. i am one.

Here’s the good news: "Being nervous and depressed is a battle, but friends, it’s not sin!" It may be what the Apostle Paul called "our thorn in the flesh" but it’s only part of what makes us who we are. i repeat: It’s not sin. Real faith surely helps with it, nevertheless, sometimes God chooses to prove His grace is enough rather than granting full deliverance in the here and now. 

i am sure some wonder why i am so crazy about my hound dog. Here’s why. Having a loving dog helps me in my oft heavy-hearted moments or overly dreadful-minded seasons. 

Also, i know i post a lot. i have Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and a Blog. Guess what? Posting helps me as well. It may "get on your nerves" but it helps me with mine. i try to always share only good news from my quiet times with Jesus or good views -- that’s photography -- from my prayer-walking with Him, the One called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.

My whole life is very "AKIN TO THE ADVENT SEASON." In other words, i spend every waking moment of my existence leaning into His presence as i hopefully await "THE ULTIMATE UNVEILING" of all He has promised. Maranatha. Amen. 

P.S. If you identify with anything i have written, just remember Jesus cares and He, our Deliver will come again. And if you know someone who struggles with depression, nerves, or dread, be in touch with them, especially during these days we are living in now. 

i am kerry... kerry i am.

1 comment:

Chris Furry said...

PK thanks for your transparency and know this is such a word of blessing to me and many others. You are loved