Sunday, March 3, 2013

Teach Me to Love -- A New Song

To accent a message I was preaching from 1 John 3:16-17, our local church's worship pastor, Joseph, wrote a new song. It is a refreshing prayer chorus. Here are the words. I think you will agree that the new song makes for a wonderfully, transparent response to the sacred passage of Scripture:

Lord, teach me to love, for You have shown me mercy.
Lord, I want to know, the depths of Your heart, completely.
Lord, I want to see, through Your loving eyes,
And see only what you see.
Lord, teach me to love, show me Your mind.
Lord, teach me to love, Oh, oh, Lord, teach me to love, oh, oh.
Teach me to love.
 
This is how we’ve come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed His life for us. This is why we ought to live sacrificially for our fellow believers, and not just be out for ourselves. If you see some brother or sister in need and have the means to do something about it but turn a cold shoulder and do nothing, what happens to God’s love? It disappears. And you made it disappear.
-- 1 John 3:16-17 (The Message)
 
Lord forbid, that in this world that so desperately needs to see Your Love that I would make Your Love disappear. Live Your Life through me, then Your Abiding Love will dominate me from within and I will surely be Your witness, Lord, to the end of my life. 
Grateful.

No comments: