Saturday, March 23, 2013

Subtly But Surely -- Beware Spiritual Slippage

In my morning prayer time today, my heart is mightily moved as I have been crying out to Jesus for a spiritual awakening in our world. It seems that even some of those who claim to be believers in Jesus are subtly but surely joining the ranks of unrighteousness. There seems to be a fog even among the faithful and the enemy seems to be inching his way into the body of Christ. I sense that spiritual slippage is undeniably underway.

This troubling verse of Holy Scripture comes to mind:

The Spirit says clearly that in later times some believers will desert the Christian faith. They will follow spirits that deceive, and they will believe the teachings of demons.
-- 1 Timothy 4:1 (GWT)

Let us plead the Blood of Jesus for renewal in our own lives, praying that personal revival within our own lives will lead to public revival among the masses and that Jesus will be glorified once again among us and beyond us, yes even throughout the whole world like never before.

As I see so-called "Christian leaders" beginning to debate whether or not "sin" is acceptable in the lives of people who claim a personal relationship with Holy God, honestly my own soul has moved far beyond being extremely mad to being totally sad. I am sad for Jesus. My heart is broken for the one called "The Beautiful One" as those who claim to love Him refuse to call sin, sin. Have we too quickly forgotten that sin is what stapled our Savior to the Cross? God forgive us and God forbid it, if we have forgotten?

In 1 John 3:8, we discover that "The Son of Man (Jesus) came to destroy the works of the devil." Why shouldn't I be sad when I see especially those who claim to wear the name of Christ attempting to preserve the works of the devil?

Last evening my cell phone rang. It was a local TV station calling to ask if I would join them on the local news this coming week for a pro and con debate about the meaning of marriage. Amazing, don't you think, that "marriage is going on trial in the good old US of A Supreme Court" this coming week -- Passion Week.

The unexpected phone call paralyzed me at first and then quickly sickened me deep within. After a kind exchange with the TV news broadcaster, I decided the time is not right for me to get caught up in talking about what's troubling my heart. I don't think I can translate the pain in my heart into intelligible words just yet. I guess you could say, I have some passionate, private, praying I need to catch up on before I, all-of-a-sudden, start talking into a TV camera.

Indeed, I still have that question strong on my mind that my executive assistant, Angela, has posted on her office door: "Have you prayed about it as much as you have talked about it?"

And, yes, I believe I know what you might be thinking. Maybe I missed an opportunity? Yeah, I have thought about that already this morning. I mean what pastor turns down an opportunity to go on live television? Maybe a pastor who's heart is so broken he's not sure how to put his grief into dialogue just yet?

And for sure, I don't want to be like Peter, who during Passion Week started swinging a physical sword in the midst of a spiritual battle. The Lord knows I don't want to cut off any ears. There's enough trouble with people listening already. (John 18:10)

Holiness Unto the LORD!
Grateful (Beware below)

P.S. "Beware of spiritual slippage" and be aware of pastors who leave their local churches to become "expert" authors and spend all of their time jumping from one video interview to another. Seems some of these "former pastor-types" are getting sucked into what's popular in the world instead of what's pure in God's sight. I've been listening to what some of them are saying. Please join me in praying for them. And pray for me.  In the fog, it's easy to veer off course. God forbid. And feel free to also pray that if I did miss an opportunity to be light in the dark, that the call from the TV news man will come again and this time I will have peace about it. Or not. Deo Volente. :-)

  

4 comments:

Kris said...

Brother I plead the blood over you today. Your words are right on. We need to take a stand and call sin what it is and let others know that it cost our Lord...His life.
love
kp

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

ALL FOR JESUS!

Gene said...

God hold me tight in your sachel of seed. Fling me out when You see the need. Root me deep in Your rich soil. For You alone I desire to toil.
Thanks for your heart and your hard work.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Good words, Gene. Good prayer, too.