Monday, March 7, 2011

The Sailor's 23rd Psalm

I was raised on an island where the sea meets the land. The imagery that inspires me most deeply is ocean imagery. I recently found in my research this sailor's paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm. I hope it encourages you as it does me:

The Lord is my Pilot, I shall not drift.
He guides me across the dark waters.
He steers me through deep channels.
He keeps my log.
Yea, though I sail ‘mid the thunders
and tempest of life,
I shall dread no anger, for He is with me;
His love and His care, shelter me.
He prepares a quiet harbor before me.
He anoints the waves with oil
My ship rides calmly.
Surely sunlight and starlight
shall guide me on the voyage I take,
And I will rest in the Heaven's port forever.


Here's a favorite old song of Seaside souls:
Click here: YouTube - Bessie Griffin: Old Ship Of Zion

Peace, be still...
Grateful

2 comments:

Jim Wolstenholm said...

There is something majestic about the ocean. Perhaps it speaks most powerfully of God's creativity! Great paraphrase of Psalm 23.
My Sabbatical is over. We had a great service yesterday - spiritual victories at the altar!
God is good.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I rejoice with you brother. May you continue in the favor of our Faithful, Loving Lord Jesus. Amen