Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Will They Know Unless We Tell Them?

An early 1980's neighbor of mine, Joe, was a master guitarist with great love for The Master, Jesus. When I say he was a master guitarist, I mean just that. Joe had a master's degree in guitar. In other words, he was very good with the wood and the strings. Joe was also a songwriter. When I say he had great love for The Master, I mean he wrote songs from a Jesus perspective.

Joe's best song, or at least my favorite song that he played and sang, was based on Romans 10:13-14. I don't remember all of the lyrics but the lyrics that I do remember are forever engraved in my mind:

How will they know unless we tell them?
Unless we tell them one-by-one?
All the love of God's dear Son?
How will they know unless we tell them?

Joe Lovell, whenever I used to walk into your house, you knew I wouldn't leave until you picked up your guitar and sang to me that soul-searching song. It still challenges me today, almost 30 years later. So, wherever you are, my brother, I say a huge thanks for playing and singing over-and-over, again-and-again for me your simple and profound love song for lost souls.

(13) For “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” (14) But how can they call on Him to save them unless they believe in Him? And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? --- Romans 10:13-14 (NLT)

Will we tell them? Will you? Will I?
Grateful

5 comments:

KLW said...

“But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him?
And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him?
And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how
will anyone go tell them without being sent? That is what the Scriptures mean when
they say, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’”
Romans 10:14-15
Did

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

ROMANS TEN FIFTEEN INDEED! That's the whole purpose behind this Beautiful Feet Blog. Thanks for leading our blog readers onto verse 15. I wondered who would be the first to do that. Thanks Keith.

Anonymous said...

We talked tonight at a bible study group as to how much we should witness to another. I knew part of the scripture - how will they know and as I typed that in google, I came up with your blog. Thank you so much for sharing. You blessed me.
Also, I have arthritis in my feet and I so often think of that scripture and song - How beautiful are the feet of them that bring good news. I claim that verse and ask Jesus that as I share him with others that my feet may be healed.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks so much for your comments. And may our Great and Able God give you a fresh touch, personally.

Julie said...

Found your blog during an internet search this morning. I can't escape such a great burden on my heart right now: the lack of Christian training by parents for our next generations. Beautifully said in your friend, Jim Lovell's song, "How will they know"?