Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Is American Retirement a Kingdom Tragedy?

The American definition of retirement is losing its appeal to me. I'm talking about the whole idea of reaching a certain age so I can focus the sunset years of my life -- yes the lion's share of my remaining time, abilities, and money -- mainly on my own leisure and earthly pleasure rather than on God's mission and eternal treasure.

Is it possible that the American definition of retirement is in fact a Kingdom Tragedy? If you're brave enough to think about it, here's a link that will assist you. It might mess up your future plans?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_TmQdxkcI&feature=related

So I pray, Lord, help me to trace and embrace Your plans for my entire existence on planet earth. Yes, I want my whole life, to the very end, to be ordered by You alone. Remind me that my life does not belong to me, but to You, totally. I am so humbled and grateful that You died to save me from my sinful actions and from my self-centered attitude, too. Please Lord, don't let the traditional American definition of retirement rock me asleep spiritually. In Jesus' Name. Amen.


...their own complacency will destroy them. -- Proverbs 1:32 (NLT)

You are not your own... -- 1 Corinthians 6:19 (NIV)

(24) Then Jesus said to the disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me. (25) If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. (26) And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul?" -- Matthew 16:24-26 (NLT)

For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ.

-- Hebrews 3:14 (NLT)

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

5 comments:

KLW said...

God's Retirement Plan
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life," John 3:16.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Good reply.

James Spruill said...

A good word Kerry, My choice of a retirement place is Heaven. If you are not there you have not finished the course. jfs

Martin LaBar said...

It's also possible to focus even more on God's mission and eternal treasure when you aren't answering to the demands of a job.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

WONDERFUL THOUGHTS. I am sure I'll slow down with age (already have somewhat), but I just don't want to ever get the attitude that someone else can worry about the souls Jesus died to reach and just tragically choose to check-out of life until it's time to check into eternity.