Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Prediction in the Book of Job?

This morning in my devotional time, I found what appears to be an illuminating Christmas prediction in the Book of Job. As soon as I read the words found in Job 39:9, I could hear the lyrics of a beloved Christmas Carol playing in my mind.

Here's Job 39:9 "Will the wild ox consent to serve you? Will he stay by your manger at night? (NIV)

Here's the beloved Christmas Carol:

Away in a manger, no crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.

The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.

The cattle (oxen) are lowing. The poor Baby wakes.
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes.

I love Thee, Lord Jesus. Look down from the sky,
And stay by my side,'Til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus. I ask Thee to stay,
Close by me forever, and love me I pray.

Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
and take us to Heaven, to live with Thee there.

ALL... JOY TO YOUR WORLD!
Grateful

4 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

That's interesting. I'd never noticed that.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

The Word is Amazing.

FYT said...

"Away In A Manger" is a song sang at Christmas - but isn't necessarily a Christmas song written specifically for Christmas.

From wikipedia:

The song was first published with two verses in an Evangelical Lutheran Sunday School collection, Little Children's Book for Schools and Families (1885), edited by James R. Murray (1841-1905), where it simply bore the title "Away in a Manger" and was set to a tune called "St. Kilda," credited to J.E. Clark.

Wikipedia notes it as a popular Christmas carol.

Good find though.

Have you read Jeremiah 10:1-5

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Thanks Philip. Sorry I missed your comment in December, but somehow I picked it up in July :-) Christmas in July, maybe? :-)

Jeremiah 10:1-5 (GWT)
Idolatry and True Worship
1 People of Israel, listen to the message that the Lord has for you.2 He says, Do not follow the ways of other nations; do not be disturbed by unusual sights in the sky, even though other nations are terrified. 3 The religion of these people is worthless. A tree is cut down in the forest; it is carved by the tools of the woodworker 4 and decorated with silver and gold. It is fastened down with nails to keep it from falling over.
5 Such idols are like scarecrows in a field of melons; they cannot speak; they have to be carried because they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them: they can cause you no harm, and they can do you no good.

I've heard it used as a reason not to have Christmas trees. SO glad we don;t worship ours. :-) Not much silver or gold on it either :-).