Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Some Days Your Nerves Seem Frayed -- "Homesickness for Heaven"

i have learned so much from my family and especially my Mom, Lady Melba. My Mom’s maiden name is Davis. She has taught me that some days your nerves seem frayed. And it’s alright. In our immediate Davis family tree, "bad nerves" have been a reality. Those who don’t understand it, just don’t. Those who do understand it, just do. 

If all of this nerve-talk makes no sense to you, it’s okay, it really is. Yet the idea of nerve problems is a reality for many people. And here’s the clincher, it’s not usually an indicator of your spiritual life. It’s just part of being human.

So, why am i writing this today. Honestly, because some days my nerves seem frayed. And, i have some of that Davis DNA happening in my own life, today. Want an example of what it’s like? The smallest of tasks can seem daunting, even overwhelming. It’s like an unpredictable yet undeniable paralysis of the mind. 

Is it a big deal? Not necessarily. Just somewhat "unnerving." At times i feel a little up in the air mentally and life seems a little raw emotionally. There’s no apparent reason for it. 

So, i will simply keep looking to Jesus and know He will help me to carry on. Maybe the Davis’ "bad nerves" is akin to what the apostle Paul called "a thorn in the flesh." It’s part of what our family has dealt with for generations. Nevertheless, in it all, God has proven over and over and over again that His grace is enough. Here’s the good part, while at times my human nerves do seem frayed, yet always Jesus is my holy hope and stay. 

So, all-in-all, all is well. In fact, when people ask me what "frayed nerves" feels like, i always say: "Homesickness for Heaven." 

"But we are citizens of Heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for Him to return as our Savior. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like His own…" Philippians 3:20-21a NLT

i hope my vulnerability helps you in some way, today. Writing about it helped me break through a little. 

Another thing my Mom taught me: "Let us pray one for the other."  Grateful. Very. 

Trusting always. 

Pastor Kerry Willis 

2 comments:

John Mark said...

Thanks for this. Thanks for your ministry!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Love ya brother.