Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Future is Now

24 years ago, I came as a young pastor, age 33, to Harrisonburg First Church of the Nazarene in Virginia. Almost immediately I borrowed words of vision from Psalm 22:30 — “Future Generations will be told about the Lord!” In fact, this became the engraved message on our hearts and on the cornerstone of our new church building in 1999. 

I have always believed in young people. I once heard Dr. James Dobson say: “We are always just one generation away from godlessness!” God forbid. 

Yesterday, my wife, Kim, and our Coonhound, Lucy, loaded up in our Four Winds RV and headed into our next full-time God-assignment to oversee the Nazarene Churches in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. So far, my joy-desription seems to be “to refresh the hearts of God’s people and to strengthen the churches here.”

So on our first, journey as full-time on the Philadelphia District, we purposely drove what seemed like forever to the northern reaches of our district to spend two days and nights with the junior highers and senior highers at their summer camps. 

We arrived ten minutes before the evening service. Kim and the pup were weary, so they rested in the RV but exhilaration overcame me and I entered the service. What energy met me!!! The worship was off-the-hook. I was immediately embraced by Trevor, Danielle, Tim and a host of other young champions for Jesus. In a room overflowing with young believers, I felt immediately embraced. When I left the platform after being introduced as the new district leader, the students high-fived me joyfully all the way back to my seat. It was so humbling and fun, too, I might add. 

Pastor Jay from Allentown was the evening speaker. He preached passionately like an old campmeeting evangelist. His love and concern for the young souls was inspiring. His vulnerable theme, “Change Your Mind About Sin!” 

Conviction from Heaven suddenly settled in the room, and when he compassionately called for seekers, the young men ran to the altar first, followed by the young ladies. It was an off-the-hook holy thing to behold. My heart was strangely and wondrously warmed. 

Listen friends, let’s find young people in our lives, yes, in our local churches to believe in. Let’s... Love them. Encourage them. Support them. They are the generation that needs to partner with us to find our way from the present to the future. And... the future is now!






Presence Matters Most!

Pastor Kerry Willis 


4 comments:

Sandy said...

Thank you for continuing this blog as it has become an important part of my morning devotional. Even more meaningful now that I won't see you on a regular basis. Y'all keep shining!

lzajane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lzajane said...

Blogger lzajane said...
I agree with Sandy! It’s a comfort & encouragement to continue reading your blog. I LOVE the view....kinda looks like the Shenandoah Valley :) I was so emtional at the reception I couldn’t really say what I wanted to but you asked me how old I was when you came.....18 turning 43 on 7/7! I’m thankful to the Lord for an obedient, humble & Jesus loving pastor! Love you all....continuing to pray.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Blessings to you both. Humbled.