Monday, June 1, 2020

Thoughts on Being Penitent 

One guiding principle in my relational leadership philosophy is what i call "The Green Apple Attitude." What does it mean? It means we must never stop growing. It means we are never too old to learn new things and unlearn old things.

Today, i learned something new. i learned that the purpose of locking a criminal away in a "penitentiary" is that they may become "penitent." To become penitent, of course, is to feel or show sorrow and regret for having done wrong.

I had just never thought about the two words together, penitentiary, as a noun, and penitent, as a verb. Nevertheless, i am glad that while i was locked in the chains of sin, a penitentiary of the spiritual sorts, i truly became penitent. i am glad i regretted what my sins had done to my Redeemer, Jesus. It caused me great sorrow. i called out to Him from a truly penitent heart and He came with the keys in His nail-scared hands and unlocked the doors of my penitentiary. He really redeemed me, yes, came to me and forgave all of my sins, paid the full price of my pardon, and lovingly released me from my penitentiary cell of shame.

i suppose the most beautiful story in the Gospels concerning a grateful penitent soul is this one: 

"One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to eat with him, and He went into the Pharisee’s house [in the region of Galilee] and reclined at the table. Now there was a woman in the city who was [known as] a sinner; and when she found out that He was reclining at the table in the Pharisee’s house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume; and standing behind Him at His feet, weeping, she began wetting His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and [respectfully] kissed His feet [as an act signifying both affection and submission] and anointed them with the perfume. Now when [Simon] the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, "If this Man were a prophet He would know who and what sort of woman this is who is touching Him, that she is a [notorious] sinner [an outcast, devoted to sin]." Jesus, answering, said to the Pharisee, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he replied, "Teacher, say it." "A certain moneylender had two debtors: one owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they had no means of repaying [the debts], he freely forgave them both. So which of them will love him more?" Simon answered, "The one, I take it, for whom he forgave more." Jesus said to him, "You have decided correctly." Then turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house [but you failed to extend to Me the usual courtesies shown to a guest]; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair [demonstrating her love]. You gave Me no [welcoming] kiss, but from the moment I came in, she has not ceased to kiss My feet. You did not [even] anoint My head with [ordinary] oil, but she has anointed My feet with [costly and rare] perfume. Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little." Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Those who were reclining at the table with Him began saying among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith [in Me] has saved you; go in peace [free from the distress experienced because of sin].""

‭‭Luke‬ ‭7:36-50‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Hope Happens HERE!

Presence Matters Most!

No Invisible People! UNITY!

Pastor Kerry Willis

No comments: